Thursday 5 July 2012

My Diffs now have Oil

It's been two years since Robin and I bought the Nitro car (an Thunder Tiger EB4 S2) and while we don't use it so much in summer, we've put a few litres of fuel through the thing since we had it.

It needs a bit of attention at the moment. Last weekend at the bashers track (Lansvale) we broke the wing mount, the aerial and cover. We still have problems with the exhaust coming off the rubber joiner every time we bump something.

So I spend some time this week stripping it down including repairing the wing mount and just generally cleaning it. I massively tightened up the screw holding the exhaust and spent some time with some wire wool and some polish cleaning the crap off the tuned pipe.

Tonight I got the diff oil and spent some time pulling down the front and centre diff, wiping all the grease off and filling them with diff oil. I've never stripped the diffs before and was very much looking forward to doing it. I find the internals of the diffs just amazing. The front one (pictured below) was in pretty good condition - it was tight and relatively smooth although it was a little noisy. The centre diff has developed some play and you can see from the colour of the gears it has gotten pretty hot. I suspect the centre diff will need replacing.



It took a bit of effort to get to the front diff. In the end I decided the easiest way was to undo the screws on the server saver posts, undo the strut attaching the plate at the front to the centre diff and then undo the four screws holding the whole front unit in. Then I unscrewed the two really long screws going through the front toe plate, the two screws going through the shock tower and the two long silver screws holding the front cover on the diff housing. This got me into the diff housing so I could remove the diff unit.



.
I think if I repeat the procedure when pulling apart the back it will work. I'll have to undo the strut going from the wing mount down to the chassis also.

I went with advice and am running 5K in the front, 5K centre and 1K oil in the back. It is quite viscous however and I wonder if I will end up changing the front for 3K later. It may settle down after we drive the car however.

No comments:

Post a Comment