Sunday 1 July 2012

Server Rebuild

I've been trying to figure out why my VMs don't start when the machine is powered on. Apparently it is a bug :( Have to wait for Update 2 of ESXi 5.0 for a fix. http://communities.vmware.com/message/2014677

The other problem I have been facing is that when I first configured the domain I used the domain name I had based on my old company name (consultancy company).  Initially I was using the domain for testing Autoenrollment functionality but over time I became more reliant on authentication. Anyway - unfortunately I no longer have that company and someone else is using the domain name. This causes havoc with name resolution. I decided to take the plunge and rename the domain. It shouldn't be too hard as I only have a single domain controller. Unfortunately it isn't straight forward and is a 10 step process involving a tool provided by Microsoft. The instructions are here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb405948.aspx


I started the process and got an error from rendom /list "The Behavior version of the Forest is 0 it must be 2 or greater to perform a domain rename: The server is unwilling to process the request. :8245"

Turns out I had to raise the domain functional level which is easy - go to Active Directory Domains and trusts, right click the domain and choose the 'Raise Domain Functional level'. It still didn't work. After some googling it turns out I need to also raise the forest functional level to do this you right-click on the 'Active Directory Domains and Trusts' entry in the tree and choose 'Raise Forest Functional Level' Then the rendom /list worked.

I hit another problem with this Framdyn.dll not being found by the gpfixup.exe took which turned out to be because there was an error in my path variable! It's been there for ages! Just a missing semicolon between the path to the wbem directory and whatever was next in the path.

I also ended up re-starting every computer in the domain so the new domain name would take effect but overall the process was moderately painless.

Name name resolution works again!

No comments:

Post a Comment