Sunday 8 July 2012

Intel processor - Choose Carefully!

Sigh... Unfortunately the store (MWAVE in Lidcombe) did NOT allow me to return the i7-3770K and exchange it for an i7-3770. You may recall I discovered (the hard way) that the faster 3770K model DOES NOT support VT-D even though the cheaper one does.

I can sort of understand this and would have been happy to pay a re-stocking fee but what bugs me about this situation is that the description of these units on the vendors site said nothing about VT-D. There was no way to tell the difference and in fact the specs on their site were identical.

Exhibit A
http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-19010245-Intel_Core_i7_3770_Quad_Core_3rd_Gen_Processor_-_Socket_LGA1155_-_3_4GHz_(Turbo_

And exhibit B
http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-19010244-Intel_Core_i7_3770K_Unlocked_Quad_Core_3rd_Gen_Processor_-_Socket_LGA1155_-_3_5G

Ok I should have checked on the Intel site but this seems harsh.

Oh well I was just starting to like this place. Time for a new computer store.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment